NOTE:

Note: Opinions expressed in the NC Youth Soccer blog (web log) are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the North Carolina Youth Soccer Association (NCYSA). Links on this web log to articles do not necessarily imply agreement by the author or by NC Youth Soccer with the contents of the articles. Links are provided to foster discussion of topics and issues. Readers should make their own evaluation of the contents of such articles.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Were you THANKFUL!?!?

Wow. I still feel like I'm burping up turkey from thanksgiving. Oh wait, that's not the turkey, its the sweet potato casserole. Or maybe it's the cranberry sauce. Has anyone had the green marshmallow dessert stuff? My family has always called it "idiot salad". Apparently, its called that because even an "idiot" can make it? I don't find that a very appropriate name, and after I eat 3 plates of it, it doesn't exactly boost my self-esteem that I love it so much. And as I eat this scrumptious platter of flavor in obvious delight, I feel like everyone around me is staring at me saying to themselves, "oh yea, that makes sense." Anyways, I hope you had as good of a thanksgiving as I did. I appreciate the history of our great country, and I also realize that most of the true history is not found in history books. But that is a different topic on a different day. 


Speaking of beginnings, do you know how soccer started?
Early evidence of soccer being played as a sport finds occurrence in China during the 2nd and 3rd centuries BC. In China, it was during the Han dynasty that people dribbled leather balls by kicking it into a small net. Recorded facts also support the fact that Romans and Greeks used to play ball for fun and frolic. Some facts point to Kyoto in Japan where kicking of the ball was a popular sport. 
It is said that early growth of the modern soccer started in England. Some amusing facts even mention that the first ball used was the head of some Danish Brigand. It is said that during medieval times, the old form of soccer used to allow many ill practices like kicking, punching, biting, and gouging. The main aim was to carry the ball to a target spot.


Pretty neat how far the sport has come from then until now! Whether people understand the sport or not, they are forced to respect it. It has stopped wars. It has held countries together. 


If a person would take the lessons learned through the sport and apply them to life, not only would he find success, but would enjoy it after he found it! I think one of the most famous soccer players said it best...
"Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do." Pele




HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog